Thursday, July 20, 2017

Instant Pot Newbie

I bought my husband an Instant Pot for Father's Day. Since he retired, he's decided he wanted to learn to cook, and loves to try new (and sometimes unusual!) dishes. I love it - means a lot less work on my part!! But with any new gadget, he wants me to figure it out first, then show him. :-) So I'm trying to figure out my 6-quart Duo IP. (Thanks to my FSJ buddy, Mary Director, for turning me on to this awesome appliance! If you get a chance, check out her blog. She makes lovely hand-stamped cards.)
I'm finding out that there are many, MANY blogs, Facebook pages, and Pinterest posts about the Instant Pot. MANY! It's hard to sort everything out, so I'm trying one thing at a time, and taking notes when something works. One big thing we need to work out is the high altitude timing. I'm working with the basic adjustment guide of +5% for every 1000 feet after 3000 feet, which means I need to multiply all my times by about 1.18.

So far, we've managed baked potatoes and tapioca pudding -- yes, I'm a slow learner! I was amazed at how easily I could make pudding from old-fashioned pearl tapioca. We're off to a good start, and I'm looking forward to trying other recipes.

Tapioca Pudding (posting so I don't lose the recipe!!)

2 c. cold water
1/2 c. pearl tapioca
--
2 egg yolks
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. cream
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

Rinse tapioca under running water for 30 seconds, then drain thoroughly. Add to IP with 2 c. water. Manual, high pressure, for 10 minutes. Natural release for 10-15 minutes, then quick release.

Whisk egg yolks, milk, and cream together. Turn IP to Saute, and whisk in sugar and salt. Pour in egg/milk mixture, straining through sieve. Stir until mixture comes to a boil and turn IP off. 

Pour pudding into a bowl and stir in vanilla. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally until pudding thickens. Pour into serving dishes, cover, and refrigerate.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment